Official Stats

Now back with even more grammar mismanagement!

(Author's note: All blogs are written in one, frantic, free-style session, thus they are bound to have grammar and even spelling errors. Please disregard these, kthnxsbye)


Number of faranged* attempts: |||
Travel time compiled on plane, train, & bus (hours):85 ~
Backpack weight: 27. 2 kg (+ laptop bag)
Non-academic book in progress: Notes from Underground - Fyodor Dostoevsky
Best fashion seen to date: Obese American teenage male wearing tight v-neck t-shirt, Saran-Warp™-reveling silver Nike basketball shorts, knee high black socks and Birkenstocks™.
Best PDA to date: SP Int'l airport - middle aged woman sucking on sleeping man's bald head.




Thursday, July 15, 2010

Time to pay rent ...

Argentineans have a tight grasp on their money. The economic collapse of 2001 caused massive capital flight as people changed as much currency as possible into American while wealthier individuals, corporations, and bank simply moved their financial matters to the USA. This run on the banks caused massive mayhem as individuals became physically cut off from their money. 

The government, in an effort to stop the flight, shut down banks and held withdrawals to something absurdly small, $50 a week or so. 

Today, I need to use a bank. Because of the limit of money I can withdrawal, determined by the government of Argentina and my bank cardholders at home. I need to pay for rent for both myself and my roommate, and pay for my deposit (which is a full months rent here, not half). This equates to 3,200 pesos. 

There in lies the issue. I cannot pay in cheque, cash only (no trust in banks), therefore, I must withdrawal 3,2000 pesos. The bank machines only spew out 600 pesos at a time, as this is the limit, thus, I must visit the bank machine 6 times, each time incurring a $5 fee ...

In other news, Argentina 'legalized' gay marriage late last night, making it the first country to do so in Latin America (outside Canada and Europe). Progressive step towards equality!

2 comments:

  1. Can't you just go into the bank and see a teller instead of using the bank machine ????
    So, even though they can't give the full amount at that time, just keep going back to the teller.Would that work??? mah xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hate all banks - every last one of them, everywhere, everywhen.

    ReplyDelete