Official Stats

Now back with even more grammar mismanagement!

(Author's note: All blogs are written in one, frantic, free-style session, thus they are bound to have grammar and even spelling errors. Please disregard these, kthnxsbye)


Number of faranged* attempts: |||
Travel time compiled on plane, train, & bus (hours):85 ~
Backpack weight: 27. 2 kg (+ laptop bag)
Non-academic book in progress: Notes from Underground - Fyodor Dostoevsky
Best fashion seen to date: Obese American teenage male wearing tight v-neck t-shirt, Saran-Warp™-reveling silver Nike basketball shorts, knee high black socks and Birkenstocks™.
Best PDA to date: SP Int'l airport - middle aged woman sucking on sleeping man's bald head.




Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Para-what

Two passport photos, two signed forms, one photocopy of a credit card, and $65 US was all that was necessary to acquire a visa to the most financially corrupt (but tourist-safe!) country outside of Africa (Paraguay ranks 154th, below Papua New Guinea, BUT higher than Iraq (176)!; subsequently Canada is tied for 8th). There was much talk about whether a visa was necessary or not, with information telling me that you could indeed enter Paraguay without a visa for shopping, but you could be subject to national (and apparently 'personal') fines on your attempt to leave. I wished to enter Paraguay for a number of reasons: 1.) No one ever travels here because there is apparently little to see or do; so why not? It is on my way; 2.) Things are absurdly cheap for some reason, and as mentioned in my previous entry, I am in need of a new iPod; 3.) As per usual, my year-old shoes have acquired a strange and impossible to remove stench. This will be solved by purchasing new runners in Paraguay. I don't know why I get horrible shoe stink every time I travel. Perhaps it is too many barefoot adventures in the shoes. Anyhow, having previous knowledge on the potentially hilarious corruption that may ensue, the visa became but a small investment to make in order to do some serious shopping. Also, the visa may have potential long term assistance when it comes to running from the law ... 

Ever since Brazil formed and signed its extradition treaties in 1961, there have been fewer and fewer countries one could escape to from Canada. Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid made it to Bolivia - only to be gunned down by the army. Ronnie Biggs (Great UK Train Robbery) managed to escape to Brazil, and according to the then grandfathered law, was able to impregnate a woman and was thereby permitted to live peacefully in Rio for some time. Even the demented doctor Josef Mengele (aka the Nazi Angel of Death), managed to elude Mossad for decades living in Paraguay, buddying it up with another likable character, dictator Alfredo Stroessner.

Although Canada has recently enacted an extradition treaty with Paraguay, I still have hopes that this visa could perhaps be a valuable investment if I am ever in the mood for hijacking a train full of laundry bags with money signs printed on them ($). Thus, I could legally enter the nation and perhaps live like a king on my hacienda, while simultaneously operating a train service, and having weekly bbqs with all of my government official friendos!
-------
Well I am in Foz do Iguaçu. Some sort of giant waterfall or something. I will post some pictures this evening or tomorrow. 

1 comment:

  1. Corrupción, pero buena calidad knock-offs en precios baratos. Disfrute de las compras y gangas!

    ReplyDelete