Official Stats

Now back with even more grammar mismanagement!

(Author's note: All blogs are written in one, frantic, free-style session, thus they are bound to have grammar and even spelling errors. Please disregard these, kthnxsbye)


Number of faranged* attempts: |||
Travel time compiled on plane, train, & bus (hours):85 ~
Backpack weight: 27. 2 kg (+ laptop bag)
Non-academic book in progress: Notes from Underground - Fyodor Dostoevsky
Best fashion seen to date: Obese American teenage male wearing tight v-neck t-shirt, Saran-Warp™-reveling silver Nike basketball shorts, knee high black socks and Birkenstocks™.
Best PDA to date: SP Int'l airport - middle aged woman sucking on sleeping man's bald head.




Thursday, June 24, 2010

SkyMall Realtor

To be brutally honest, flying frightens me. Every take-off or landing I dramatically picture the break-up of the plane, wings tearing off, utter chaos, madness, and carnage. These macabre thoughts are not without warrant. The utter reliance of leaving your life in the hands of another human being(s) can be frightening! For the most part flying can relies on computer operations and guidance, yet all algorithms start with a humans. Human built planes, human serviced, and human flown. Logic and reason tells me that statistics are on my side for flight safety. However, emotion deters this confidence, leaving a nagging thought in my mind of human error. Perhaps a rough night sleep, a hang over, a break up, a death. Emotional issues that fog clear minds, confuse judgement, and slow processing. Any of which could lead to the numerous cataclysmic disasters I can and do imagine during my four take offs and four landings.

I woke up diving into SP through a disconcerting thick layer of fog. As the plane descended I lost all sight of the wing. Only reappearing as the 777 buzzed hilariously close to the unfortunate roofs of the favelas and barrios of SP, barely under the cloudy covering, completing a perfect run. Thank god for GPS.


Every travel blog has at least one thought on SkyMall. It is an integral part of any journey involving planes. Seeing which products have lasted since the previous edition and which have disappeared. A profitable future investment opportunity could be the franchising of a SkyMall. No longer will consumers be forced to purchase goods through a catalogue or over The Internets. They will now be able to go to a store, feel the products, test out the hot dog griller/bun warmer toaster (now after a decade removed from the catalogue!), and perhaps become overwhelmed with cognitive dissidence after the purchase of a human-sized armoured knight (or accurate sarcophagus , or Zombie garden statue - as the ad states "perfect for home gardens or office planters!") for USD $2,000+. Furthermore, an absolute location would allow the small minority of dissatisfied customers to exchange their newly purchased Underwater Pogo Stick™ or Dog DoorBell™ for something that is more suitable for their needs and wants.

Anyhow, I bussed into Rio's centro this afternoon. Took awhile wandering around Santa Teresa before I found my place. Went and got lunch, bought some groceries, and am now trying to stay awake. It is 1800, or 1400 PST, so I want to at least try and stay awake until 2000 before crashing otherwise I will be awake at some ungodly hour.

4 comments:

  1. The Underwater Pogo Stick!

    Hammacher Schlemmer youve done it again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank God you didn't have William Shatner on your flight, sitting beside you and staring out at the plane wing while proclaiming,'there is some...thing, on the wing '. You look and saints be cursed there is a gargoyle clinging to the wing and tearing the engine apart. It's enough to keep me awake at night, or on a flight.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am glad to know I am not the only one afraid to fly.
    Peter Pan***

    ReplyDelete